Our first tournaments

Bill Zehler bzehler at fuse.net
Sat Jan 21 08:57:10 EST 2023

We have several teams with tournaments this weekend. As the competitive
season starts, we want to remind you of a few things. Parents signed a
contract stating they have read the handbook and will abide by the policies
and procedures in that document. Our coaches will make every effort to make
all members of their team to feel like they are contributing to their team's
success. Here are a few points to consider:

Playing Time We do not guarantee equal playing time on any team or at any
event. Borderline has the philosophy that what you pay for is instruction
time during practices. Playing time for athletes is determined by
attendance, attitude, effort, performance, the athlete's potential, the
team's needs at the moment and is left solely to the discretion of the
Borderline coach. The "coaching decision" is not up for debate or question.
Athletes are encouraged to ask what they can improve on to get more playing
time (see Grievance Procedure go to a tournament:

Coaches have been instructed not to discuss coaching decisions with a
parent. These coaching decisions include, but are not limited to specific
match decisions, substitution patterns, etc. Borderline Junior Volleyball
Handbook 2023 The coach will not be required to defend his/her thought
process or conclusions in the determination of playing time, and it is
improper for a parent to request that. Parents are never to confront a coach
at a tournament. Specifically, the procedures to follow if you as a parent,
or your athlete as a member of a Borderline team, have concerns about
Borderline policies or a coach's actions are, in this order: The athlete
will speak or meet with the coach to discuss the matter. If the matter
remains unresolved, or if the athlete has reasonable concern that speaking
to the coach will not resolve the matter, The parent should speak to or meet
with the head coach. Parents should call the head coach on the phone to set
a meeting. Meetings are to be at times and locations other than tournaments.
If a coach is approached by a parent during a tournament, we have instructed
the coach to refuse to discuss any controversial matter, to refer the parent
to the Club Director and to walk away from the situation. The recommended
time for a parent and/or athlete to talk to a coach about a problem is a
previously arranged meeting time either before or immediately after a
scheduled practice.

Have fun this weekend! Drive safely!