Bill has been coaching volleyball since 1981. His role in developing athletes and promoting volleyball in southwestern Ohio began in the early 1980s, when he founded and coached the Miami University Women's Club Volleyball program. Since then he has served the Ohio Valley Region of USA Volleyball as Men's Tournament Director, and is currently the OVR Girls' Program Director and Girls" Junior Championships Director; and he is a member of the Board of Directors for the OVR. He was the varsity coach for Talawanda High School from 1999-2008, leading his teams to league or division titles in 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007. He was named league Coach of the Year in 2000, 2001, 2006, and 2007.Bill has coached at Talawanda Middle School since 2016. His 2020 and 2021 middle school teams were undefeated, with a record of 36-0 over the two seasons.
Bill founded the Borderline Junior Volleyball program in 1994. The club is now the oldest program in the OVR. Since its initial season, Borderline has grown into one of the most respected programs in the Ohio Valley Region. Several Borderline teams have qualified for the USA Volleyball Championships and the program has helped many athletes attain their goal of playing our sport at the collegiate level.
In addition to being club director, Bill has coached several teams in the Borderline program. He has coached at the Regional, American, and National level.
Bill has been married to his very understanding wife, Diana, since 1987. They have 3 daughters (Carrie, Kelly, and Kaitlin) and four beautiful grandchildren (Nora Mae Zehler Wilhite, Luke Bryan Weiser, Jace William Weiser, and Macie Zehler Wilhite).
Other qualifications and certifications I've accumulated through my long association with volleyball include:
- Miami University Star Award (1991) for the work with the Women's Club Volleyball Program
- USA Volleyball's Outstanding Program Director (2001)
- USAV CAP II Accredited Coach
- OHSAA "Retired" Class I Volleyball Official
- USA Volleyball "Retired" National Official
- OVR Commissioner's Award Recipient (2006)
- PAVO "Retired" National Collegiate Official
- ASEP Accredited Sports Club Director and Course Instructor
- 2011 OHSVCA District 15 "Lifetime Achievement Award" Recipient
- 2020 USA Volleyball Robert L. Lindsay Meritorious Service Award
- Talawanda Middle School 7th Grade Head Coach in 2020. The team was 18-0 (10-0 in the SWOC ) and won the post season tournament.
- Talawanda Middle School 8th Grade Head Coach in 2021. The team was 16-0 (10-0 in the SWOC) and won the post season tournament.